Tile Forming Generalist
- San Francisco, CA
- Full Time
- Tile Production
- Entry Level
Heath Ceramics is a California company making dinnerware and architectural tile of good and enduring design for over 70 years. We are design-led, with the mission of creating products of beauty and integrity, while designing, manufacturing, and running our business in a way that's better for society and our planet. By taking responsibility for the entire lifecycle, we offer better products and experiences from beginning to end. We believe in the benefits of local manufacturing and support a community of people committed to and inspired by the process of designing, making, and sharing. We believe in providing a living wage, full health and welfare benefits, and a place for meaningful work.
Tile Forming will work under the direction of the Tile Lead and Tile Production Manager. This position has a one-month training period. An ideal candidate has very good attention to detail, works rapidly and is always mindful of quality.
- Perform tile production by working in the current rotation of pressing/sanding/and cutting
- Operation of ram press
- Hand cutting of clay
- Glaze, shape, and bullnose preparation may be needed
- Board washing and other forming preparations
- Organize unfired tile on carts for the glazing team to process
- Communicate with kiln loading crew and potentially glaze teammates on material needs for filling kiln loads
- Maintain the floor around the forming area to be dust free and kiln car runners clear of debris
- Organize greenware and glaze carts according to daily needs
- Help in other departments. This includes board washing and greenware QC. Helping in other department depending on the need and the number of kilns scheduled per day
- Rotation running pug mill when needed
Qualifications and Experience
- Desire to work in a plant environment and to be “hands on”
- Excellent people skills: must be patient, flexible, and calm
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Ability to enhance a team
- Proficiency with basic Mathematics (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
- Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Demonstrated ability to be reliable and punctual
- Willingness to be flexible and accept instruction from team members
Physical Requirements (Medium to Heavy)
- The ability to transport clay, finished goods, and other production materials (up to 35 lbs. at a time). The total weight lifted per day can be 3500 to 5000 lbs.
- Other activities, including climbing, balancing, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, repetitive motion, grasping, and feeling.
Work Environment/ Hours / Compensation
This position is a full-time, non-exempt role that is on-site at our San Francisco Factory & Showroom. The hours for this position are 5:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. This is a Union position and begins at $21 hourly.
We are committed to your health and well-being. Heath offers a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees that includes a choice of medical plan, dental, vision and life and works very hard to keep employee costs low for excellent coverage. We do not require an employee contribution for individual premiums, and we pick up a large portion of the costs for dependent coverage. A generous 401(k) match annually. Our Employee Stock Ownership Plan provides an additional retirement benefit linked to the long term performance of our company. We offer a generous time off allocation, paid family leave, and of course a healthy discount on all Heath Ceramics products.
Proud Equal Opportunity Employer
At Heath, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate it, we support it. Heath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, transgender status, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for this position apply through this application form. Thank you for your interest!