Dinnerware Clay Maker
- Sausalito, CA
- Full Time
- Dinnerware Production
- Entry Level
What began as a historic pottery in 1948, has evolved into a collection of businesses anchored in designing and making products, spaces, and experiences of exceptional beauty and uncompromising integrity. We are a manufacturer, led by design and sustainable business practices. We have a very diverse workplace of around 200 employees that encompasses manufacturing, retail, design, communications, digital, and administrative functions. Our original Sausalito location houses our dinnerware factory and showroom. Heath San Francisco houses our tile factory, along with a showroom, and clay studio; our SF Ferry Building location is a small, but mighty, showroom; and Heath LA, a showroom and clay studio. Learn more about our company, at heathceramics.com.
The Claymaker is responsible for batching clay and pugging clay. They will closely work with our Process Technician to work in tandem to achieve the clay needs of production.
- Making Clay includes: Mix, screen, and press dinnerware clay, both white and manganese bodies, based on production needs
- Balancing the specific gravity of the clay during blunging and screening
- Dropping filter cake
- Batch casting slips, supply slip caster with slip, and recycle casting scrap
- Adjust and balance casting slip using viscometer and specific gravity cup
- Operating the Heath forklift safely
- Maintaining cleanliness standards in the claymaking area
- Collect scrap from around the plant to recycle into production or the compost.
- Maintaining production records
- Unloading clay shipments as needed as needed
- Pugging Clay
- Loading and extruding dinnerware clay using the pug mills
- Loading clay tables with pugs for production
- Cutting pugs to length using the harp cutter
- Operating the pug mills safely
- Checking the clay quality frequently for hardness, air, and delamination
- Following clay orders for dinnerware and tile production
- Tooling set up on pug mills and other equipment
- Preparing tables of clay for tile and dinnerware production
- Forklift certification
- Good time management skills
- Desire to work in a plant environment and to be “hands-on”
- Great people skills: must be patient, flexible, and calm
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to follow strict safety guidelines
Physical Requirements (very heavy)
- Ability to lift 20- 50 lbs approximately 200 times per day
- Ability to lift 50-75 lb pugs up to 100 times per day
- Pulling and pushing carts
- Standing for 90% of the day
- Other activities, including climbing, balancing, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, repetitive motion, grasping, and feeling
Work Environment/ Hours / Compensation
This position is a full-time, non-exempt hourly role that is based out of Sausalito Factory. This position pays $22.50/hour plus a monthly performance-based bonus. The working hours for this position are 5:00am - 1:30pm, Monday - Friday. This role reports to the Dinnerware Production Manager.
Only Bay Area candidates will be considered.
We are committed to your health and well-being. Heath offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees that includes a choice of medical plans, dental, vision, acupuncture, and chiropractic, as well life insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees. An annual 401(k) contribution that grows with job tenure. Our Employee Stock Ownership Plan provides an additional retirement benefit linked to the long-term performance of the company. We offer a generous time off allocation and a great discount on all Heath Ceramics products.
Proud Equal Opportunity Employer
At Heath, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate it, we support it. Heath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, transgender status, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for this role please apply through this application process, attaching your resume. Thank you for your interest!