Head of Engineering and Facilities
- San Francisco, CA
- Full Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
Heath Ceramics is a California company making dinnerware and architectural tile of good and enduring design for over 70 years. We are design-led, with the mission of creating products of beauty and integrity, while designing, manufacturing, and running our business in a way that's better for society and our planet. By taking responsibility for the entire lifecycle, we offer better products and experiences from beginning to end. We believe in the benefits of local manufacturing and support a community of people committed to and inspired by the process of designing, making, and sharing. We believe in providing a living wage, full health and welfare benefits, and a place for meaningful work.
This role oversees the day to day management of all Heath facilities and engineering activity in both San Francisco and Sausalito which includes manufacturing, retail, warehouse and office spaces. Responsible for managing a broad range of facility and engineering related activity including but not limited to, plant repairs, equipment modifications, new installations, vendor coordination, layout improvements, facility upgrades, janitorial and general maintenance. Ensures staff are appropriately trained and are provided with materials and equipment for successful performance in line with Heath’s high standards and budget expectations. Having a Continuous Improvement background, this role seeks to deliver significant improvement in workplace organization, performance and compliance to safety.
- Develop objectives, timelines and priorities for engineering and facilities projects
- Reduce process and equipment downtime by creating a culture of reliability through the implementation of preventative maintenance controls
- Organize workflow to maintain business continuity
- Focus on productivity improvement opportunities
- Promote skill development for all team members
- Coordinate vendor repair and installation efforts
- Develop and improve energy efficiency measures
- Assist in managing compliance with local, state and federal agencies, maintain logs, forms and schedules
- Coordinate weekly Engineering meetings to monitor and review projects and general engineering and facilities activity
- Budgetary oversight of Facilities/Engineering activity
- Develop and maintain Visual Management systems
- Monitor team performance including productivity, timekeeping and attendance
- Interview and train new team members
- Prepare and deliver annual employee performance appraisals
- Bachelor of Engineering, in Mechanical and/or Electrical
- 5+ years leading and managing teams in facilities and engineering environment
- Experience with electrics, plumbing, welding, machine design and fabrication, PLC control systems, pneumatics, and hydraulics
- Project management experience including procurement and installation of capital equipment and facilities/building upgrades.
- Experience with permitting for various capital equipment and building needs
- Ability to shift gears quickly when problem-solving and troubleshooting
- Understanding of the principles of Lean and Continuous Improvement in a manufacturing environment, with working knowledge of tools such as 5S, SMED and OEE
- High awareness and application of EH&S discipline
- Outstanding people skills
- Formal leadership and management training
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the organization
Activities, including climbing, balancing, kneeling, squatting, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, repetitive motion, grasping, and feeling.
Work Environment/ Hours / Compensation
This position is a full-time, exempt role. The position can be based in either our San Francisco Factory or our Sausalito Factory. Flexibility is required as the role will be covering multiple locations. This role reports to Heath's Production Director. This is a managerial position whose direct reports include our San Francisco Facilities and Engineering Manager and Sausalito Facilities and Engineering Manager. This position pays $110,000 - $120,000 annually, based on experience plus a quarterly performance-based bonus.
We are committed to your health and well-being. Heath offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees that includes a choice of medical plans, dental, vision, acupuncture, and chiropractic, as well life insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees. An annual 401(k) contribution that grows with job tenure. Our Employee Stock Ownership Plan provides an additional retirement benefit linked to the long-term performance of the company. We offer a generous time off allocation and a great discount on all Heath Ceramics products.
Proud Equal Opportunity Employer
At Heath, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate it, we support it. Heath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, transgender status, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for this role please send your resume and cover letter that speaks directly to the position’s requirements. Thank you for your interest!